Insurance Consumer

Insurance Consumer


Image of a condominium


What is an SR-22 Filing?  An SR-22 filing is a document that shows proof of financial responsibility. 

Why would I be required to have an SR-22 filing?  If you are caught driving without insurance, have a DUI or DWI, are involved in an at-fault accident and did not have insurance.  You could also need one in case of license suspension, or repeat traffic offenses in a short time period.

How do I get an SR-22? Contact your insurance agent.  If you do not have an agent you can locate one in your local directory or by searching online.  The agent that you select must have a valid insurance license for the state of Vermont.  And the SR-22 must be written through an insurance company that is licensed to do business in the State of Vermont.

How long do I need to carry an SR-22?  Three years from the date of the event that caused the requirement of the SR-22 filing.  (Example:  Operator is ticketed for a DWI on 01/01/2011 and incurs a 90 day suspension that ends on 03/31/2011 the filing is required for three years from 03/31/2011.)  If the policy lapses, or is cancelled, the insurance company is required to notify the State of Vermont Department of Motor Vehicle immediately and your license will be suspended.

What are the liability limits required to obtain an SR-22 in the State of Vermont?  The State liability limits for Vermont are $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $10,000 property damage.

What if I am from Out of State and need an SR-22 for Vermont?  The company that carries your auto coverage will need to provide the SR-22 to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles, to secure the driver’s license in your home state.   (The company submitting the SR-22 filing must be licensed here in Vermont as well as the state that you are located in.) 

Where do I turn to if cannot find a company to assist with an SR-22?    Your states insurance consumer services division should be able to assist you.  Or you may contact Consumer Services Division in the State of Vermont at: 1 800-964-1784.

Automotive Insurance

homeowners homeowners homeowners




Subscribe to RSS - Insurance Consumer