Individual Limited Lines Credit

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Limited Lines Producers who missed the March 31, 2017 License Renewal Deadline: Vermont Individual type licenses renewed on March 31, 2017. Accordingly, the license of a Limited Lines Producer who did not renew as of March 31, 2017 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Individuals, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs.

“Credit Insurance” means credit life, credit disability, credit property, credit unemployment, involuntary unemployment, mortgage life, mortgage disability, guaranteed automobile protection (gap) insurance, which are hereby designated as forms of limited line Credit Insurance for purposes of Regulation I-2007-02, and any other form of insurance offered to a consumer in connection with an extension of credit to such consumer that is limited to partially or wholly extinguishing such credit obligation and which the Commissioner designates as a form of limited line Credit Insurance. "Credit Insurance" shall not include Private Mortgage Insurance ("PMI"). 

License Requirements

If you want to obtain a Limited Lines Producer License for Credit Insurance you MUST read the Limited Lines Producer License for Credit Insurance Regulation, I-2007-02.  Reading the Regulation is a requirement of licensure. This regulation sets out the requirements for licensure, as well as the duties and responsibilities of a license holder. 

Below you will find information about how to apply for a license and a list of frequently asked questions.  If after reading the regulation and the FAQs, you have questions about licensing or the duties of a license holder, you should contact the Licensing Section. 

How to Apply for A License

Resident and Nonresident - Electonic Applications

Nonresident Individual Limited Lines Producers  MUST apply electronically using one of the third party vendors listed below by clicking on the logo. (The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)


  • Complete the on-line application process and pay the relevant fees.
  • If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
  • If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department.  All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Resident - Paper Application

  1. Complete the NAIC Uniform Application;
  2. Resident Fees: Application Fee of $30.00 and a Biennial License Fee of $30.00; Checks payable to VT Dept of Financial Regulation, and
  3. Have read the Limited Lines Producer License for Credit Insurance Regulation, I-2007-02.

Application Submission Note: Although a license can be issued without an appointment, a licensee cannot act as the agent of an insurer without an agent appointment by the insurer. Each insurer for whom you act as an agent must appoint you. Only an Insurer is authorized to submit an appointment.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.


Do I need to obtain a license?

Someone who sells Credit Insurance must hold a Limited Lines Producer License for Credit Insurance unless they currently hold a full Insurance Producer license or are selling Credit insurance under a business that has obtained a Business Entity Limited Lines License for Credit Insurance.  

Credit Insurance is the only type of insurance that is authorized to be sold under this license type.

What is an appointment?

An Insurer is required to submit an appointment for any producer acting as its agent. In order to sell on behalf of an insurer as a Limited Lines Producer for Credit Insurance an individual must be appointed by an Insurer.

What happens if all my appointments are terminated?

Your license will be inactivated.  In order to maintain a license you must have an active appointment by an Insurer.

What is the license term and how do I maintain my license?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year.  Please note the license term is fixed and there is no prorating of license fees.

What is the renewal fee?

2017 renewal begins January 5th, see fee chart.

What are my responsibilities under the license?

You must read and understand Regulation I-2007-02, Limited Lines Producer License for Credit Insurance.  This regulation describes the duties and limitations placed on the license, including: 

  • Reading and understanding the provisions of the Regulation;
  • Being appointed by the Insurer for whom you are acting as an agent;
  • Complying with the consumer protections set forth in Section 7 of Regulation I-2007-02.
  • Complying with the Trust Account requirements of Regulation 95-1, Trust Accounts. 
  • Complying with the Record Retention requirements of Regulation 99-1, Record Retention. 

Who should I contact if I have questions about applying for the license or my responsibilities under the license?

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax