Bail Bond Agent License Info

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Important Notice for Bail Bond Agents who missed the March 31, 2015 License Renewal Deadline: Vermont Bail Bond Agent licenses expired on March 31, 2015. Accordingly, the license of a Bail Agent who did not renew as of March 31, 2015 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Bail Bond Agents, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

For information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a Bail Bond Agent license an individual must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed by the Commissioner to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have passed a written examination; be appointed by a sponsoring insurer and submit a license application and fees. Note, a Bail Bond Agent must be approved to act as a surety or on behalf of a surety by the Vermont Court Administrator before he or she can execute a bond or post bail.


How to Apply for A License

Resident and Nonresident - Paper Application Only 

An applicant must submit to the Sponsoring Insurer the following:

  1. NAIC Uniform Individual Application;
  2. Resident: The original score report showing passage of the Bail Bond Agent examination;
  3. Resident Fee: Application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $30.00. Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation; or
  4. Nonresident Fee: Application fee of $30.00 and a biennial license fee. Please locate the state in which you reside to determine the license fee (See Fee Chart). Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation
  5. The sponsoring Insurer will attach the NAIC Appointment/Termination Form to the application and submit it to the Department.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

Application Submission Note: A license cannot be issued without an appointment.  Only an Insurer is authorized to submit an appointment.  You should contact the Insurer that is appointing you and forward your application and applicable fees to the Insurer.  The Insurer will submit the Application and Fees to the Department, along with the appropriate Appointment form.

Once you are licensed, additional Insurers can submit subsequent appointments without any additional documentation from you. 


Do I need approval from the Vermont Court Administrator before I begin acting as a Bail Bond Agent?

Yes. See Title 13 §7554a

Approval of fidelity companies and agents; duty of court administrator.  The court administrator, after consultation with the Commissioner of Banking, Insurance, Securities, and Health Care Administration, may approve an entity that is licensed or authorized under the provisions of Chapter 111 of Title 8, and any agent who is licensed under the provisions of Chapter 131 of Title 8, to act as a surety, or on behalf of a surety, in this state to execute a bond in the form established by the court administrator under subsection 7554(i) of this Title, or post bail as required as a condition of release, and if so approved, the entity or agent shall not need to be approved by any court, judicial officer or any other person. 

What is the license term?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

What is the renewal fee?

The 2015 renewal period begins January 5th. See the renewal fee chart.

Who must have a Bail Bond Agent license?

Anyone who intends to sell, solicit or negotiate bail bonds must be licensed as a Bail Bond Agent.

Is Vermont an appointment state?

Yes, Vermont is an appointment state. If an insurer does business with a Bail Bond Agent as its agent, the insurer must appoint the Bail Bond Agent as its agent. Without the appointment, a Bail Bond Agent cannot hold a license.

When must a Bail Bond Agent be appointed as an insurer’s agent?

A Bail Bond Agent must be appointed at the time of application.

Does Vermont require Bail Bond Agents to have a trust account?

Yes. Many transactions involving collateral require a trust account. For more information about trust account requirements see Regulation 95- 1.

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax

 Vermont Licensing Bulletin