Business Entity Limited Lines Portable Electronics

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Business Entities who missed the March 31, 2017 License Renewal Deadline. The license of a Business Entity who did not renew as of March 31, 2017 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Individuals, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

Business Entity Limited Lines Portable Electronics

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs.

“Portable Electronics” means electronic devices that are portable in nature, their accessories, and services related to the use of such devices.  

“Portable Electronics Insurance” means insurance which may be offered on a month-to-month or other periodic basis as a group or master commercial inland marine policy that provides coverage for the repair or replacement of portable electronics against any one or more of the following causes of loss: loss, theft, inoperability due to mechanical failure, malfunction, damage, or other similar causes of loss.  The term does not include a service contract governed by subchapter 4 of chapter 113 of this title, a policy of insurance covering a seller’s or manufacturer’s obligations under a warranty, or a homeowner’s, renter’s, private passenger automobile, commercial multi-peril, or similar policy.

“Portable Electronics Vendor” means a person in the business of selling or leasing portable electronics directly or indirectly.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a Limited Lines Business Entity license, the entity must be deemed by the Commissioner to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible and must satisfy the requirements of Regulation I-2012-01, Business Entity Limited Lines Producer License for Portable Electronics Insurance. This regulation sets out the requirements for licensure, the duties and responsibilities of a license holder, and the rules governing the use of employees and representatives.

How to Apply for A License

Resident and Nonresident - Paper Application Only

An applicant must submit the following:

  1. NAIC Uniform Business Entity Application;
  2. Resident Fees: Application fee of $30.00 and a biennial license fee of $30.00. Checks should be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation; or
  3. Nonresident Fees: Application fee of $30.00 and a biennial license fee. Find the state of domicile of the Entity to determine the license fee (see Fee Chart), Checks should be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation;
  4. Have a Designated Responsible Licensed Producer (DRLP) on the Application (see FAQs below).
  5. Application Submission Notes:
  • Although and appointment by an insurer is not required to obtain a license, a business entity cannot act as the agent of an insurer or use unlicensed employees to sell portable electronics insurance unless it is appointed by the insurer and all training and supervision requirements set forth in Regulation I-2012-01 have been satisfied.
  • Responses to Question 2 of the application may be limited to insurance related administrative actions or any other actions related to conduct that involves dishonesty, breach of a trust or fiduciary duty or mishandling of customer funds.

Designated Responsible Licensed Producer for a Business Entity Selling Portable Electronics Insurance

In order to be a DRLP for a Business Entity, someone:

  • Must possess an Insurance Producer license; and
  • Must be appointed with the same Insurers that have appointed the Business Entity.

Appointing Insurer Responsibilities

Each insurer must appoint a business entity that is acting as its agent or intends to use unlicensed employees to sell, solicit or negotiate portable electronics insurance on its behalf. In order for the Business Entity to sell insurance and to use unlicensed employees, the insurer MUST submit the following:

  1. The Insurance Company Certificate; and
  2. The NAIC Uniform Appointment/Termination Form (Appointment fees are billed to the Insurer on a monthly basis) for both the business entity and the DRLP (if not already appointed).


Does the Business Entity need to obtain a license?

Businesses that want to use unlicensed employees or representatives to sell portable electronics insurance must obtain the Business Entity license and satisfy the requirements of Regulation I-2012-01. NOTE: A Business Entity does not have to be licensed if its employees or representatives who sell insurance are individually licensed.

Someone who sells Portable Electronics Insurance must:

  1. Hold a full Insurance Producer license; or
  2. Be employed by or represent a business that has obtained a Business Entity Limited Lines Producer License for Portable Electronics Equipment.

What is an appointment?

An Insurer is required to submit an appointment to the Department for any Producer acting as its agent. In order to obtain and maintain a Business Entity Limited Lines Producer License for Portable Electronics Equipment Insurance, the Business Entity must be appointed by an Insurer and the Designated Responsible Producer must also be appointed with the Insurer. Every Insurer for whom the Business Entity is acting as its agent must appoint both the Business Entity and the DRLP. It is the Insurer’s responsibility to make the appointment and only the Insurer is authorized to make an appointment.

What happens if all of the Business Entity’s appointments are terminated?

The license will be inactivated. In order to maintain a license the Business Entity must have an active appointment by an Insurer.

What is a Designated Responsible Licensed Producer (DRLP)?

As part of the NAIC Uniform Business Entity Application, a Designated Responsible Licensed Producer (DRLP) must be associated with the business. A DRLP is someone:

  1. Who is appointed by each Insurer for whom the Business Entity is selling insurance;
  2. Who is responsible for the Business Entity’s compliance with the insurance laws and Regulation I-2012-01;
  3. Who is licensed as an Insurance Producer.

What happens if the DRLP ceases his or her association with the Business Entity or does not maintain a license or appointments?

If the DRLP terminates his or her association with the Business Entity or does not maintain her or her license or appointments, the Business Entity’s license will be inactivated. A DRLP association is a condition of licensure for the Business Entity. Business Entities MUST notify the Department of a replacement DRLP prior to the termination of the existing DRLP in order to avoid the license inactivation of the Business Entity’s license.

What is a Company Certificate?

A Company Certificate is a certificate submitted by each Appointing Insurer stating that the Business Entity is trustworthy and competent, that the Insurer has provided the training and education required by Regulation I-2012-01, and that the Insurer will appoint the Business Entity as its agent.

What is the license term and how do I maintain the license?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note, the license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

What is the renewal fee?

The 2017 renewal period begins January 5th, and the renewal fee chart is at the bottom of this page. 

What are the responsibilities under the license?

A Business Entity has important responsibilities under the license. The DRLP for the Business Entity must read and understand Regulation I-2012-01, Business Entity Limited Lines Producer License for Portable Electronic Equipment Insurance and must ensure the Business Entity is in compliance with Vermont law. This regulation describes the duties and limitations placed on the license.

The Business Entity must:

  1. Be appointed by the Insurer for whom it is acting as an agent;
  2. Have a DRLP associated with it;
  3. Discharge the duties set out in Regulation I-2012-01, which include:
  • Ensuring employees are qualified to sell insurance under the regulation;
  • Providing employees with a training and education program;
  • Providing consumers with the required consumer disclosures;
  • Providing required brochures to all consumers;

Who should submit my application and/or DRLP Certification?

The Insurer who is appointing the DRLP should submit the DRLP Application (if not already licensed) with the Business Entity Application including the Insurer’s Appointments for both and the Insurer Certification.

Who should I contact if I have questions about applying for the license or my responsibilities under the license?

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax