Business Entity Limited Lines Producer License for Rental Car Insurance
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Vermont Limited Lines Business Entity Producer licenses expire on a common expiration date of March 31 of Odd years. If you apply for a license now, you will pay the initial license and application fee for a license that expires on March 31, 2015. You will also receive an invoice for the license renewal fee prior to the expiration date of that license. All applications received at the Insurance Department AFTER March 1st, 2015 will not be issued effective until April 1st, 2015, unless a specific request is made.
Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs.
“Rental Car Insurance” means insurance offered, sold or solicited in connection with and incidental to the rental of rental cars, whether at the rental office or by preselection of coverage in master, corporate, group or individual agreements that: (i) is not transferable; (ii) applies only to the rental car that is the subject of the rental agreement; and (iii) is limited to the following kinds of insurance:
- Personal accident insurance for renters and other rental car occupants, for accidental death or dismemberment, and for medical expenses resulting from an accident that occurs during the rental period;
- Liability insurance, which must include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage that provides protection to the renters and to other authorized drivers of a rental car during the rental period;
- Personal effects insurance that provides coverage to renters and other vehicle occupants for the loss of, or damage to, personal effects in the rental car for liability arising from the operation of the rental car during the rental period;
- Roadside assistance and emergency sickness protection insurance; and
- Such other travel or vehicle related coverage that a rental car company may offer in connection with, and incidental to, the rental of a rental car as may be approved by the Commissioner.
In order to obtain a Limited Lines License and applicant must be deemed to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have a sponsoring insurer; and submit a license application and fees.
Resident and Nonresident – Paper Application Only
The Business Entity must submit the following:
- NAIC Uniform Business Entity Application, (must be signed by an officer of the business entity);
- Have designated a licensed producer who is a natural person and is appointed by insurer, to be responsible for the business entity's compliance with the insurance laws and regulations of this state;
- Resident Fee: Application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $30.00. Checks may be made payable to VT BISHCA; or
- Nonresident Fee: Application fee of $30.00 and a biennial license fee. Please locate the state in which the Business Entity is domiciled to determine the license fee (see Fee Chart). Checks may be made payable to VT BISHCA.
Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.
A sponsoring insurer must complete the following and submit to the Department if the Business Entity will be an agent of the insurer and will be using unlicensed employees to sell:
- Although an appointment by an insurer is not required to obtain a license, a business entity cannot act as the agent of an insurer or use unlicensed employees to sell rental insurance unless it is appointed by the insurer and all training and supervision requirements set forth in Regulation I-2002-02 have been satisfied.
- A certificate completed by the appointing insurer, stating that the insurer has satisfied itself that the named applicant is trustworthy and competent to act as its rental car agent; that the insurer has reviewed the employee/representative training and education requirements for conformity with the requirements set forth in section 7C of this regulation. An officer of the insurer shall execute the certification; and
- The NAIC Uniform Appointment Form appointing the applicant to act as its rental car agent.
- What is a Business Entity Limited Lines Producer license for Rental Car Insurance?
- What is the license term?
- What is the renewal fee?
- Who must have a Business Entity Limited Lines Producer license for Rental Car Insurance?
- Is there a regulation governing the Business Entity Limited Lines Producer license for Rental Car Insurance?
- What are the requirements for selling insurance under this license type?
A Business Entity Limited Lines producer license for Rental Car Insurance is a license that enables employees of the business entity to sell rental insurance without further licensure subject to the requirements and limitations of Regulation I-2002-02.
The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years. The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.
2015 renewal fee chart.
Anyone who intends to sell, solicit or negotiate rental insurance must be licensed as a limited lines producer or must be an employee of a business entity that satisfies the requirements of Regulation I-2002-02.
Yes, See Regulation I-2002-02.
See Section 7 thru 10 of Regulation I-2002-02.
For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.
Vermont Department of Banking, Insurance,
Securities and Health Care Administration
Producer Licensing Section
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax