Renew Online

Crop Adjuster License Info

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs. Vermont Law defines a Crop Adjuster to mean, any person who investigates claims and negotiates settlement of claims arising under policies of insurance in behalf of insurers under such policies, or who advertises or solicits business from insurers as an adjuster. Lawyers settling claims of clients shall not be considered an adjuster. A license as an adjuster shall not be required of an official or employee of a Vermont domiciled fire or casualty insurance company or of a duly licensed resident insurance producer of licensed foreign insurer who is authorized by such insurer to appraise losses under policies issued by such insurer. See Title 8, §4791.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a Crop Adjuster license an applicant must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have passed a proficiency examination approved by the Federal Risk Management Agency; meet an experience requirement and submit a license application and fees. The experience requirement may be satisfied in three different ways:

  1. The applicant possesses two years’ experience in handling of loss claims.
  2. The applicant has undergone special training of sufficient duration and scope to make him/her competent to fulfill the responsibilities of the license sought.  A person seeking to have special training recognized should submit a detailed description of the training, including syllabi, curriculum and training material.
  3. The applicant is employed by and subject to the immediate personal supervision of a licensed adjuster who is licensed in Vermont and who has been licensed for not less than three years next preceding the date of application for the license.

For further information, see Title 8, §4803(Links to Vermont Statutes web site.)

How to Apply for A License

Nonresident and Resident Electronic Application

  • Non Resident Crop Adjusters who hold a Resident Crop Adjuster license in their Resident State; AND
  • Resident Crop Adjusters can apply electronically using either third party vendor service listed below;
  • Fax proof of having passed a proficiency examination approved by the Federal Risk Management Agency to (802)-828-1633;
  • Crop Adjusters who have a Designated Home State (DHS), can apply electronically using NIPR only at this time; and
  • Crop Adjuster: Vermont does not allow non-resident adjusters to designate Vermont as a home state at this time.


(The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)

  • Complete the online application process and pay the relevant fees. Attachment #2 is no longer required for electronic submissions.
  • If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
  • If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department. All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Resident: Paper Application Submission

An applicant must submit to the Department the following:

  1. NAIC Uniform Individual Application (This application is used for ALL license types, though they are not all specified on the form);
  2. A copy of having passed a proficiency examination approved by the Federal Risk Management Agency;
  3. Attachment #2 Certification print a hard copy, fill in; and,
  4. A license application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $60.00. Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

NOTE: All applicants must satisfy a Federal Risk Management Agency proficiency examination. 


    The license term is April 1st to March 31st of even years.  The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the even year.   Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.
    Yes.   Each Adjuster shall keep at the address shown on the license a record of all transactions under the license.   The record shall include:
    1. A copy of all investigations, adjustments or appraisals undertaken or consummated.
    2. A statement of any fee, commission or other compensation received or to be received by the Adjuster on account of such investigation, adjustment, or appraisal.
    3. The Adjuster shall make such records available for examination by the commissioner at all times, and shall retain the records for at least three years. 
    Three years.
    No.  To adjust non-crop related claims, an individual must be licensed as a Property and Casualty Adjuster.
    For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.
    Yes. Under Vermont law in the event of a catastrophe a licensed insurer may use an Adjuster or Appraiser who is not licensed in Vermont to adjust claims arising out of the catastrophe. The following guidelines apply:
    1. A catastrophe must have occurred. The Department will notify insurers on its Website if an event has been recognized as a catastrophe by the Commissioner for purposes of allowing the use of individuals who are not licensed in Vermont. Insurers are welcome to contact the Department for further guidance.
    2. The adjuster/appraiser must be licensed in his/her resident state or other state if resident state does not issue such license;
    3. The insurer must notify the Department of its intention to use catastrophe adjusters/appraisers and provide a list of the names, addresses and license information for individuals who will be adjusting/appraising;
    Within ninety (90) days from the date of a claim denial a Vermont licensed adjuster will review the denial to ensure the claim was properly adjusted.

    For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

    Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
    Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
    89 Main Street
    Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
    (802) 828-3303 Telephone
    (802) 828-1633 Fax 

    Vermont Licensing Bulletin

    PDF icon ATTACHMENT#1.pdf115.92 KB