Renew Online
Apply Online

Public Adjuster License Info

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs. Vermont Law defines a Public adjuster to mean any person who investigates claims and negotiates settlement of claims arising under policies of insurance in behalf of the insured under such policies or who advertises or solicits business as such adjuster. Lawyers settling claims of clients shall not be deemed to be insurance public adjusters. See Title 8, §4791.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a public adjuster license an applicant must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have passed a written examination; meet an experience requirement and submit a license application and fees. The experience requirement may be satisfied in three different ways:

  1. The applicant possesses two years’ experience in handling of loss claims.
  2. The applicant has undergone special training of sufficient duration and scope to make him/her competent to fulfill the responsibilities of the license sought. A person seeking to have special training recognized should submit a detailed description of the training, including syllabi, curriculum and training material.
  3. The applicant is employed by and subject to the immediate personal supervision of a licensed public adjuster who is licensed in Vermont and who has been licensed for not less than three years next preceding the date of application for the license.

For further information, see Title 8, §4803 (Links to Vermont Statutes web site.)

How to Apply for A License

Nonresident and Resident Electronic Application

  • Non Resident Public Adjusters who hold a Resident Public Adjuster license in their Resident State; AND
  • Resident Public Adjusters can apply electronically using either third party vendor service listed below;
  • Public Adjusters who have a Designated Home State (DHS), can apply electronically using NIPR only at this time; and
  • NOTE:  Vermont does not allow non-resident adjusters to designate Vermont as a home state at this time.

NIPR or SIRCON (The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)

  • Complete the online application process and pay the relevant fees. Attachment #2 is no longer required for electronic submissions.
  • If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
  • If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department. All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Resident: Paper Application Submission

An applicant must submit to the Department the following:

  1. NAIC Uniform Individual Application (This application is used for ALL license types, though they are not all specified on the form);
  2. The original score report showing passage of the Adjuster's Property and Casualty examination;
  3. Attachment #2 Certification print a hard copy, fill in; and,
  4. A license application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $200.00. Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

NOTE: All applicants must satisfy an examination requirement in order to be licensed.  If a nonresident has not taken an examination, or resides in a state that does not require a license examination, the applicant can either:

  1. Submit a letter of certification from another state where the applicant did take an examination and is currently licensed, or
  2. Take and pass the Vermont Adjuster's Property and Casualty examination and submit the original test score report with the application.



What is a Public Adjuster?

A Public adjuster is any person who investigates claims and negotiates settlement of claims arising under policies of insurance in behalf of the insured under such policies or who advertises or solicits business as such Adjuster. Lawyers settling claims of clients shall not be deemed to be insurance Public Adjusters.

What is the license term?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of even years.  The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the even year.   Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

Does Vermont require Continuing Education for Public Adjusters?


Does a Public Adjuster have specific record keeping requirements under Vermont law?

Yes.   Each Adjuster shall keep at the address shown on the license a record of all transactions under the license.   The record shall include:

  1. A copy of all investigations, adjustments or appraisals undertaken or consummated.
  2. A statement of any fee, commission or other compensation received or to be received by the adjuster on account of such investigation, adjustment, or appraisal.
  3. The Adjuster shall make such records available for examination by the commissioner at all times, and shall retain the records for at least three years. 

Who should I contact with license questions? 

For answers to additional questions that are have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax


PDF icon Form_Attachment_1.pdf115.92 KB