Apply Online

WC Adjuster License Info

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  WC Adjuster licenses renewed on March 31, 2016. Accordingly, the license of an Individual who did not renew as of March 31, 2016 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Individuals, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, choose the license type on the main page and follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs. Vermont Law defines a Workers’ Compensation(WC) Adjuster to mean, any person who investigates claims and negotiates settlement of claims arising under policies of workers’ compensation insurance in behalf of insurers under such policies, or who advertises or solicits business from insurers as an adjuster. Lawyers settling claims of clients shall not be considered an adjuster. See Title 8,  §4791.

License Requirements

In order to obtain a WC Adjuster license an applicant must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; have passed the Vermont WC Adjuster written examination; meet an experience requirement and submit a license application and fees. In order to renew a WC Adjusters license you must attend and satisfactorily participate in a continuing education seminar administered by the Vermont Department of Labor. The Department of Labor may be contacted at 802-828-2286 for additional information about continuing education seminars.

The experience requirement may be satisfied in three different ways:

  1. The applicant possesses two years’ experience in handling of WC claims.
  2. The applicant has undergone special training of sufficient duration and scope to make him/her competent to fulfill the responsibilities of the license sought. A person seeking to have special training recognized should submit a detailed description of the training, including syllabi, curriculum and training material.
  3. The applicant is employed by and subject to the immediate personal supervision of a licensed WC Adjuster who is licensed in Vermont and who has been licensed for not less than three years next preceding the date of application for the license.

For further information, See Title 8, §4803

How to Apply for A License

Nonresident and Resident Electronic Application

  • Non Resident AND Resident Workers' Compensation Adjusters MUST take the Vermont Workers' Compensation Adjuster Examination and can apply electronically using NIPR. (The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)
  • Complete the online application process and pay the relevant fees. Attachment #2 is no longer required for electronic submissions.
  • If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
  • If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department. All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Resident - Paper Submission

An applicant must submit to the Department the following:

  1. NAIC Uniform Individual Application (This application is used for ALL license types, though they are not all specified on the form);
  2. The original score report showing passage of the Vermont Workers' Compensation Adjuster Examination;
  3. Attachment #2 Certification print a hard copy, fill in; and,
  4. A license application fee of $30.00 and a license fee of $60.00. Checks may be made payable to VT Dept. of Financial Regulation.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

Special Requirements for Workers' Compensation Adjusters

ALL applicants for a Workers’ Compensation Adjuster license must take and pass the Vermont Workers' Compensation Adjuster examination.

ALL Workers' Compensation Adjusters once licensed and who have been through their first renewal in Vermont or their first eligibility for renewal must attend and satisfactorily participate in continuing education seminars administered by the Vermont Department of Labor in order to renew a license. The Department of Labor may be contacted at 802-828-2286 for additional information about continuing education.  CE Extension Form is below.


What is a Workers' Compensation Adjuster?

A Workers' Compensation Adjuster is any person who investigates claims and negotiates settlement of claims arising under policies of workers' compensation insurance in behalf of insurers under such policies, or who advertises or solicits business from insurers as an adjuster. 

What is the license term?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of even years.  The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the even year.   Note, license fees are not prorated and the license term is fixed, regardless of time of application.

Does an applicant have to pass the Vermont Workers' Compensation examination, or is passing another state’s examination satisfy the examination requirement?

An applicant must pass the Vermont Workers' Compensation Adjuster examination.

Is Vermont specific CE required for Workers' Compensation Adjusters?

Yes.  After a licensee’s first license renewal or first eligibility for renewal, a licensee must attend one CE seminar offered by the Vermont Department of Labor every two years.  The CE term is the same as the license term.

Where can I go for more information about how to attend a Vermont Workers Compensation CE seminar?

The Department of Labor administers the CE program.  For more information Click Here

Is a Property and Casualty adjuster authorized to adjust Workers' Compensation claims?

No.  A person adjusting Workers' Compensation claims on behalf of an insurer must possess a Workers' Compensation Adjuster license.

Who should I contact with questions about Vermont’s Workers' Compensation requirements or the claims processing requirements of the Vermont Department of Labor?

For all questions related to Workers’ Compensation and claims processing, you should contact the Vermont Department of Labor at 802-828-2286.

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to dfr.producerlicensing@vermont.gov please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax 

Vermont Licensing Bulletin