Individual Limited Lines Including Crop, Rental, Surety, Travel and Other

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Limited Lines Producers who missed the March 31, 2017 License Renewal Deadline. The license of a Limited Lines Producer who did not renew as of March 31, 2017 has now lapsed. Vermont does not have a “grace period” for a license renewal, and a license cannot be “reactivated”. Individuals, whose license has lapsed, must apply for a new license. In order to apply for a license, follow the instructions listed under How to Apply for a License.

Information about licensing requirements, how to apply for a license and FAQs. Vermont Law defines a “Limited Lines Producer” to mean a person authorized by the Commissioner to sell, solicit or negotiate limited lines insurance.  

License Requirements

In order to obtain a Limited Lines Producer license for Crop; Rental; Surety; Travel or other limited lines an individual must be at least 18 years of age; must be deemed by the Commissioner to be competent, trustworthy and financially responsible; be appointed by a sponsoring insurer and submit a license application and fees.

How to Apply for A License

Resident and Nonresident - Electonic Applications

Nonresident Individual Limited Lines Producers  MUST apply electronically using one of the third party vendors listed below by clicking on the logo. (The site should open in a new window. To return to this page, close the new window.)


  • Complete the on-line application process and pay the relevant fees.
  • If your application is routine, and does not require any additional information, the license is generally issued within 48 hours.
  • If your application is not routine, you will be notified on-line that additional information must be submitted directly by you to the Department.  All additional information that must be submitted is outlined on the application, and can be faxed to (802) 828-1633. Your license application will be reviewed after all required information has been received.

Resident - Paper Application

  1. Complete the NAIC Uniform Application;
  2. Resident Fees: Application Fee of $30.00 and a Biennial License Fee of $30.00; Checks payable to VT Dept of Financial Regulation.

Attachment #1 Social Security Disclosure is for your information.

Application Submission Note: Although a license can be issued without an appointment, a licensee cannot act as the agent of an insurer without an agent appointment by the insurer. Each insurer for whom you act as an agent must appoint you. Only an Insurer is authorized to submit an appointment.  


What is an appointment?

An Insurer is required to submit an appointment for any producer acting as its agent. In order to sell on behalf of an insurer as a Limited Lines Producer an individual must be appointed by an Insurer.

What happens if all my appointments are terminated?

Your license will be inactivated.  In order to maintain a license you must have an active appointment by an Insurer.

What is the license term and how do I maintain my license?

The license term is April 1st to March 31st of odd years.  The Department will send out renewal notices for existing licensees at the beginning of the odd year. Note the license term is fixed and there is no prorating of license fees.

What is the renewal fee?

2017 renewal fee chart.

What are my responsibilities under the license regarding Trust Accounts and Record Retention?

  • Comply with the Trust Account requirements of Regulation 95-1, Trust Accounts. 
  • Comply with the Record Retention requirements of Regulation 99-1, Record Retention. 

Who should I contact if I have questions about applying for the license or my responsibilities under the license?

For answers to additional questions that have not been addressed in the FAQs above, send an email to please be sure to provide a telephone number where we can contact you.

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
Insurance Division – Producer Licensing
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
(802) 828-3303 Telephone
(802) 828-1633 Fax