Before making any investment, always verify that you are using a legitimate Investment Professional.
How do I know what sort of license a seller or advisor is supposed to hold?
Before transacting any business, print out the license/authorization checklist and ask your investment professional to fill it out for you. This will tell you what types of products he or she is selling and what authority or agency licenses the activity in Vermont.
- Take your time. Dont be rushed into a business deal. A legitimate opportunity will not vanish overnight.
- Ask questions about the competency and experience of the company and it's officers, products.
- Get written copies of all available literature
- Check with others who have experience with the company and it's products.
- Investigate and verify all information.
The best way to stop investment fraud is to prevent it from occurring. Don't be afraid to ask questions and investigate investment opportunities before you invest.
Before you invest, investigate the company, the salesperson, and the investment by asking questions and checking references.
You should thoroughly understand the investment before you invest. Do not be afraid to ask questions and write down the answers for future reference. Some of the most important questions you should ask are:
- What are your name, your firm's name, and your telephone number?
- How did you get my name?
- Are you and your firm registered with the Vermont Securities Division?
- What are the risks with this investment?
- Can you send me a prospectus or other offering document telling me the details of the investment? (keep all written materials provided)
- How much commission are you receiving on this investment?
- What statement or other documents will I get regarding this investment, and how often will I receive it?
- How do I liquidate my investment?
Check with the Vermont Securities Divison at 802-828-3420 to see if the firm or salseperson is registered to sell investments in Vermont. Also ask if the investment is registered for sale in Vermont.
Contact the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
Toll free hotline to get information about the firm and salesperson: 800-289-9999 (9am to 5pm EST)